Naughty and Nice : Sometimes you gotta be a little naughty and this may just be one of those times….when does a corndog not mean a good time!
1. Pour 10cm of oil in a large pot and heat to 170ºC over medium heat.
2. Pat dry with paper towels. Insert sticks into sausages.
3. Whisk together dry ingredients (corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt). Whisk together wet ingredients (buttermilk, egg and 1 tbsp oil). Combine wet and dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
4. Pour batter into a drinking glass almost to the top and dip hot dogs. Put sausages straight down into batter and give it a little twirl to fully coat the corn dogs then swirl as you lift up. Let excess drip off.
5. Hold corn dog at an angle in the hot oil for 5-7 seconds to let it seal then drop into oil (this keeps them from sticking to the bottom of the pot).
6. Fry for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Fry up to 2-3 at a time (so you don’t drop the temperature), turning them as needed to brown evenly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.